Get ready to embark on a culinary journey as we dive into the delightful world of Khava Karanji, a special treat that adds a sweet touch to your Diwali celebrations. This traditional recipe combines a crispy outer layer with a rich, nutty filling, creating a perfect balance of flavors that will leave your taste buds dancing with joy. Follow along as we guide you through the simple steps to master this delectable Diwali special.
Table of Contents
For the Outer Covering:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour (मैदा)
- A pinch of salt
- 2 tablespoons ghee
- Water, as needed
For the Filling:
- 1 cup khoya (mawa)
- 1 cup grated dry coconut (खोबरं)
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup finely chopped mixed nuts (cashews, almonds, pistachios)
- 1/2 teaspoon cardamom powder (वेलची पूड)
- A pinch of nutmeg powder (जायफळ पूड)
For Deep Frying:
Ghee or oil
Making the Outer Covering:
- Prepare the Dough:
- In a mixing bowl, combine the all-purpose flour, a pinch of salt, and 2 tablespoons of ghee.
- Gradually add water and knead to form a smooth, firm dough.
- Cover the dough and let it rest for 30 minutes.
Making the Filling:
- Prepare the Mixture:
- In a pan, roast the khoya until it turns golden brown.
- Add grated dry coconut to the khoya and roast for another 2-3 minutes.
- Allow the mixture to cool.
2. Mix in the Sweetness:
- Once cooled, add powdered sugar, finely chopped mixed nuts, cardamom powder, and nutmeg powder to the khoya-coconut mixture.
- Mix everything well to create a sweet and nutty filling.
Assembling the Karanji:
- Rolling the Dough:
- Take a small portion of the dough and roll it into a thin circle on a floured surface.
- Adding the Filling:
- Place a generous amount of the khoya-nut mixture on one half of the rolled dough.
- Sealing the Karanji:
- Carefully fold the other half of the dough over the filling, creating a semi-circle.
- Press the edges to seal the karanji.
- Shaping the Edges:
- Use a fork to crimp the edges, ensuring a tight seal.
Frying the Karanji:
- Heat the Ghee or Oil:
- Heat ghee or oil in a deep pan for frying.
- Frying to Golden Perfection:
- Gently slide the assembled karanji into the hot ghee or oil.
- Fry until it turns golden brown and crispy.
- Drain and Serve:
- Once fried, remove the karanji and place it on absorbent paper to drain excess oil.
Serve these delectable khava karanjis as a delightful Diwali treat or enjoy them with a cup of chai. Share the joy of these homemade goodies with your loved ones, making your festive celebrations even more special!
Congratulations! You’ve just mastered the art of making Khava Karanji, a perfect Diwali special recipe. The rich and sweet filling encased in a crispy outer layer is sure to make these treats a favorite among family and friends. Wishing you a joyous and sweet Diwali celebration!